Summer is a great time to review the parts of your investment plan that don’t get as much attention. They are important too.
Insurance policies, retirement plans, IRA’s and annuity contracts usually have named beneficiaries. Time flies so take a look at your selections and let’s see if they need updating.
Things to consider:
1) Pros and cons of naming your Trust
2) Per Stirpes and Per Capita
3) Gifts to charities – be efficient
4) Importance of specificity
Many postponed updates to trusts due to last year’s uncertainty surrounding certain tax laws. Provisions of a family trust are just as, if not more, important than tax considerations and should not be put off.
1) Fund the trust
2) Trustee selection
3) Clarity of directives
4) Attorney selection
Insurance proceeds can pay the bills; they can also create them. Consider the following:
1) Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
2) Costs of permanent v. term coverage
3) Portability of employer policies
4) Calculating need
Please don’t put these important issues off to a busier time of year. My vast experience here may help you and summer is the time to do it.
Until next week,
Susan R. Linkous